Today In The News
  USS Juneau found
USS Juneau found
March 23, 2018 - The wreckage of the USS Juneau, a battleship that sunk during the 1942 Battle of Guadalcanal during World War II, has been found. The expedition crew of the Research Vessel Petrel, which is owned by Paul G. Allen, Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist, found the wreckage off the coast of the Solomon Islands. Five Sullivan brothers from Waterloo, Iowa went down with the ship.
Word of the Day
displayed: verb;shown; Find it in blue in today's top story!
Extra! Extra! Writing Practice Practice your writing skills with the story above!
Extra! Extra! Writing Practice - Click Here
Complete this Writing Practice. Then print or email your document, or if available, save it to Google Drive.

Track your progress all year. For your Student Summary Report Form:
Click Here (pdf)

Drink a glass of fresh water on World Water DayDrink a glass of fresh water on World Water Day
March 22, 2018 - Have a tall glass of fresh water today on World Water Day and think of its freshwater origins. About 71 percent of Earth's surface is water but 96.5 percent of that water is contained in salty oceans leaving the remaining 3.5 percent available as fresh water.
Weekly VOCAB

Week of March 19

compiled: verb; put together, created, developed;
New report identifies critical minerals

faltered: verb; not performed as expected;
'The Flying Tomato' soars again

Today In History Bottom
Today In History Header

March 23

1989: Dick Clark, host of American Bandstand for 33 years, retired from hosting the show but remained active in show business. He died in 2012 at the age of 82.

1957: Amanda Plummer, actress, was born n New York City.

1954: Moses Eugene Malone, former basketball player, was born in Petersburg, Virginia.

1775: At a church in Richmond, Virgina, American patriot Patrick Henry delivered his now famous speech in which he said: "...but for me, give me liberty or give me death."

Today In History Bottom
More News

More News >
More News Content Box Bottom
Extra! Extra! Feature Article

Hands-on, heads-up, hearts-in learning permeates INSPIRE DayHands-on, heads-up, hearts-in learning permeates INSPIRE Day
Sept. 18, 2017 - The Norman Borlaug Boyhood Home in Cresco, Iowa served as an outdoor classroom Friday for more than 250 fifth graders.


1. How did Norman Borlaug save the lives of one billion people through his research and work in Mexico?

2. How is the Norman Borlaug Heritage Foundation keeping the legacy of Norman Borlaug alive?

3. What does it mean to "literally walk in the footsteps of Dr. Norman Borlaug?"

INSPIRE Day was an exciting and educational field trip for students and teachers.


I Approve This Message: Decoding Political Ads: Since 1952, political ads have aired on television during presidential elections. Seismic changes have occurred in the nation since that time but the power and punch of political ads remain the same.

Major flooding impacts Iowa: Thousands of residents in eastern and central Iowa spent the Sept. 24-25 weekend filling and placing sandbags around buildings to protect against rising water predicted to reach flood stage in many locations.
Scrumptious Salsa Science: Salsa is scrumptious, a fun food that is super nutritious, super easy to make, and super science. Learn how hydroponic vegetables are grown with Bryan Ellis from the Toledo Natural Science Technology Center. 
One Hot and Cool Topic: The Art - and Science - of Glass: Watch a master instructor of glassblowing sculpt a bowl from a gob of molten glass. 
What are the Iowa Caucuses?: Learn the history of the Iowa Caucuses through "First in the Nation," an exhibit at the Iowa Historical Museum in Des Moines. 
SNN Stories with less than 800 words.
View Read 800
SNN Stories with less than 1000 words.
View Read 1000
Extra! Extra! Writing Practice Practice your writing skills by summarizing the information contained in the story at the left. What is the main point of the story? What are the key findings? Why is the story an important one? What are its implications? When finished, you can either print or email your document.
Extra! Extra! Writing Practice - Click Here
Weekly News Quiz
If the population of the United States is 320 million, what percent of that number is represented by the population of Ireland?
about 15 percent
about 5 percent
about 1.5 percent
SNN Logo